When it comes to your website’s search engine optimization (SEO), keywords matter. Keywords are what prospects type into search engines to find the information they are looking for. If it is relevant to what they are looking for, your business’ website may be a source of this information. By choosing the right keywords, you increase your chance of being found and attracting potential customers on these search engines.
Here are 5 tips to help you choose the best keywords for your website’s SEO:
1. Keep up-to-date. Before you choose any keywords, get up to date with the latest SEO requirements. Search engines change the standards by which they rank websites frequently. This includes the number and types of keywords that can be used for your website. Our SEO Checklist outlines the standards currently used.
2. Rank your brand. If relevant, your products and services should include your brand name in their keywords. However, all website homepages should use your brand name as the keyword. This way, you can be easily found by clients who are searching specifically for your business. This will also help your local SEO.
3. Check your planner. There are many keyword planning tools out there to help you. If you use Google AdWords for your paid advertising, they have a keyword planner that ranks keywords based on monthly searches. Ideally, you should select a keyword that is searched for most frequently.
4. Narrow your focus. Keyword planners can create lists of potential keywords. Not all of these will be relevant to you, so be sure to choose the one that best fits your content. For ideal SEO, you should have one focus keyword that should be used 1-6 times per 300 words of content and fit in naturally. For the most natural focus keyword, consider what words your target audience would use to search for your product or service. To get an outsider’s perspective, ask your friends or family members how they would search for your business or similar services.
5. Grow a long tail. Long-tail keywords are longer, more specific phrases that can be used to search for a product or service. Although these terms are not as frequently used, when they are, they give more relevant results. Most likely, these results are what your prospects are looking for and where you want to be found.
Being found on search engines starts with keywords. Without an optimized keyword, your website and your business may not get the traffic needed to be successful.