5 Tips for Better SEO in 2017
Search engine optimization, also known as SEO, should be a top priority for any business as we enter the new year. Beautiful website design is one way to attract customers, but if they can’t find your website to begin with, then you’re out of luck. SEO, the most important aspect of any website, helps others find you on search engines and can really improve your online exposure.
- Revise existing content. Look through your existing content and freshen it up. Get rid of anything that your business no longer offers, and make sure you have at least 300 words per web page. Those 300 words should have at least three mentions of your focus keyword (what Internet users type into search engines).
- Focus on your keywords. When you choose the right keyword, you increase your chances of being found on search engines. Ideally, you should have one focus keyword that is used 1-6 times per 300 words of content and use language your customers would use to search for you.
- Create a company blog and an editorial calendar. If your website continually pushes out quality information related to your industry, your SEO will improve. Creating a blog will also build a knowledge base for your employees, and those searching for information about your industry. They’ll spend more time on your website if the information you provide is relevant and updated. Make sure you create an editorial calendar to start the year. It’s easy to start off strong with a blog, but if you don’t hold yourself accountable, you’ll quickly fall behind.
- Make your website mobile-friendly. For better SEO in 2017, look no further than the phone in your pocket. “Every year people spend more and more time on their mobile devices and tablets, but many websites still aren’t designed to account for different screen sizes and load times. Mobile optimization takes a look at site design, site structure, page speed, and more to make sure you’re not inadvertently turning mobile visitors away,” Moz reports.
- Analyze site structure. Your site structure is critical for SEO. If users are having a hard time navigating your website, it will reflect poorly on your page rank. Make sure that each page is no more than 3 clicks away from your home page. Avoid hidden menus that disappear from page to page, and always think before you set a site to open in a new window, as this often confuses users when they cannot click the back button. The key here is to make your site user friendly, so be sure to have an outside-in approach when analyzing the structure of your website — view your website as if you were a visitor for the first time.
By following these five easy steps, you’ll achieve better SEO in 2017!